Asbestos exposure is a serious health concern. If you think you’ve been exposed to air that has been contaminated with asbestos fibres, you should book an appointment with your GP immediately.
However, there is no immediate reason to panic. Most people who are exposed to asbestos do not develop the life-threatening diseases that are associated with it. The notion that one fibre can kill, or even one exposure can kill, is fairly inaccurate. Those who are at most risk are people who have ongoing exposure in large quantities, specifically those in the building and construction trade, who may not realise what they are dealing with while not wearing adequate RPE.
Although the latency period for an asbestos related disease is usually somewhere between 15-60 years, you should seek guidance from your GP immediately if you have a sudden onset of coughing, shortness of breath, chest pain, or unexplained weight loss.
When speaking to your GP you should mention:
- Any jobs, past or present, where there could have been a possibility of asbestos exposure
- If you’ve ever lived with someone who has worked a job which had an asbestos risk
- Home improvements that you’ve conducted where you may have been exposed
They will then be able to give the best advise to you, and will ascertain whether you will require to make an appointment to see a specialist.
Home DIY with Asbestos
If you’ve been conducted DIY home improvement work in your own household, and you think you’ve found or disturbed asbestos, then please speak contact our office as soon as possible. We will be able to sample the materials to confirm whether it’s asbestos or not, before any continued work is carried out. If you’d prefer not to wait, or you’re fairly certain it is asbestos, our asbestos removals team will safely and professionally remove all asbestos containing materials from your home. Following the removal, we will then conduct an air test to ensure that the air quality is of a satisfactory and habitable level.