Do I Need A Domestic Asbestos Survey Completed On My Property?

For your own home, whether it be a house or a flat, there is no legal requirement to hold asbestos information. If tradesmen are required to conduct work on or within your property, they/you will obviously need to be protected from any potential fibre exposure. In this situation, an asbestos survey should be carried out by a qualified asbestos surveyor prior to work commencing. The survey will identify any asbestos containing materials (ACMs) present in your property that are easily accessed, and will also list the integrity of them, as well as the best course of action on how to deal with it.

For rented accommodation, the landlord will most likely hold responsibility for common areas only, like lifts and hallways. Within the property itself, the landlord has no requirement legally to inform you of any asbestos within. However, they should not be providing you with unsafe or dangerous living conditions.

domestic asbestos survey

If planning on purchasing a property, it’s important that you have an asbestos survey commissioned, especially if the building was built prior to 2000. Asbestos works can end up being expensive, depending on the type of asbestos and the amount. If you discover that you will need to set aside money so that remedial works can be carried out, it could affect the price of the purchase. This works both ways too, as if you are planning on selling, it’s beneficial to have any asbestos works taken care of prior, before they are picked up by the buyer.

If you require a domestic asbestos survey, please feel free to contact us via our enquiry form here, or alternatively call us on 1823 443898.